ON MAY 7, 1875 OUR WEE TOWN BECAME KNOWN AS OPHIR. THIS WEBSITE IS THE STORY AND REPOSITORY OF OUR TOWN PAST AND PRESENT.

IT WASN’T ALWAYS CALLED OPHIR. GOLD  WAS DISCOVERED HERE ON THE SHEEP STATION OWNED BY CHARLES BLACK IN 1863, AT THE FOOT OF BLACKS HILL AND THE EDGE OF THE MANUHERIKEA RIVER. THE SETTLEMENT THAT POPPED BY QUICKLY WAS FIRST KNOWN AS BLACKS DIGGINGS, THEN SHORTENED TO SIMPLY BLACKS

latest news

Blacks is a 1920’s Art Deco Hotel with bar, restaurant and accommodation. With...

During the early days of the Ophir gold rush, the Manuherikia River was a danger...

Ophir is a village which ranks alongside St Bathans and Clyde as one of the coun...

Upcoming events and activities in the village and close by. Could be a busy summ...

In 1864, just as Otago’s easy deposits of alluvial gold had been picked over, ...

No, not Sam, local legend, but the dogs of Ophir. If you’ve heard the expr...

There’s still gold to be unearthed in Ophir, but its mainly remnants of th...

Surrounded by hills and old gold mining tacks, Ophir is ideally suited as a base...

One of the benefits of life in a dry climate is that it is very kind to old meta...

Tucked away in a small lean-to in Omakau is the workshop of Ophir resident Peter...

OK, there’s no denying it, and we we might as well embrace it. It gets col...